Donald Trump: To impeach or not to impeach

Nasirah Fair and Jamie Stewart-Aday

Impeach him!

By Nasirah Fair

President Donald Trump has been in office for a little over 400 days now, and yes, I am counting. Trump imitates the role of president so abominably, that it has become more of a shame than an honor to say I am American. Don’t get me wrong, this country has seen ugly times, but after a period where it seemed as though light was coming up on the horizon, the Trump administration is a dark cloud that’s made all of those dreams dissipate.

Donald Trump has given us plenty of reasons to impeach him; whether it’s his alleged collusion with Russia, pattern of lying to the public, conflict of interest regarding his personal brand, refusal to release his tax returns, or his multiple sexual assault allegations–the current administration is dangerous and Trump must be removed from office.

The act of impeachment is putting a President on trial for committing a high crime or misdemeanor. The House of Representatives first votes on whether to impeach the President. If the House votes to impeach the President, the Senate serves as the jury and determines whether the president is guilty.

Back in March 2017, Trump was accused of collusion with the Russians who allegedly assisted him in campaigning. When FBI Director James Comey conducted an investigation into the allegations, Trump fired him. If Comey proved that Trump colluded with Russia, this action could qualify under the category of an impeachable crime.

Another suspicious move from Trump and his administration is his money schemes. Trump is a businessman, so it is only natural that his tactics would infiltrate his executive rule. Around the time of Trump’s inauguration, he refused to release his tax returns. His lack of cooperation highlights concerns about him receiving endowments from foreign governments and his attachment to the Trump brand.

Additionally, an extremely important concern that almost every sensible American has is Trump’s sexual assault allegations. The list of the women who’ve accused Trump of sexual misconduct is sickening, but not surprising. His rhetoric, such as ‘grab em by the pussy’, validates the claims of these women.

As I count his days in office, I am also counting the days till it ends. Trump’s political reign of terror must end and the best way is through impeachment. 

Bad, but Pence is worse

By Jamie Stewart-Aday

Donald J. Trump is the worst president in the history of the United States. He is unintelligent and unqualified, a bigot and a creep, and his policies and rhetoric are setting us back decades. However, he is also incompetent and for this reason, the world will be a better place if he is still president on January 19, 2021.

If Donald Trump is impeached, Vice President Mike Pence will become President, and a Pence Presidency would be far worse than a Trump Presidency.

There are two reasons President Pence would be worse than President Trump. The first is effectiveness. In his first year as president with a Republican House and Senate, Trump was only able to pass one major piece of legislation: the tax bill. The reason for this is that Trump is simply a bad politician. That happens when you elect a president with no prior experience in government.

This would not be the case with President Pence. Pence has been in politics for 18 years and is well liked by the Republican establishment. He would have the same hateful agenda as Trump but would turn that agenda to law at a much higher rate.

The second reason not to impeach Trump is popularity. Trump’s approval rating has been under 40 percent for most of his presidency and currently sits at 41.1 percent.

An unpopular president means Democrats are more likely to win back at least one chamber of Congress in the tough 2018 midterm elections, and more likely to win back the White House in 2020.

In a recent Gallup poll, Mike Pence’s approval rating was 42 percent. That’s more than Trump’s without even accounting for the 16 percent of “undecided” responses, a number which is 5.5 percent for Trump.

This means that under President Mike Pence, Republicans would be more likely to retain Congress and the White House in years to come. No matter how much you hate Donald Trump, and I really hate him, seven years of President Pence with a Republican Congress is far worse than three more years of President Trump, two of which would likely not have Republican majority in Congress.

PHOTO COUTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS