October’s news of the month

Ethan Leifman

More stories from Ethan Leifman

The DCIAA Championship was captured by both the boys and girls soccer teams last week. The boys beat Bell 3-0, while the girls beat Walls 2-1. Read the full articles on page 16.

Lowering the voting age to 16 has been a prime objective for many Wilson students, spurred in part by the November 6 midterm elections. Read the full stories on page 10.

A boy played for the Walls field hockey team in an October 18 game against Wilson. “The girls are really nice so I felt really in my place and they really made me part of the team even though I am a boy,” Walls junior Jaap Leegggangers said. Wilson won the game 2-1. Read the full article on page 16.

Italian exchange students were hosted by Wilson students at the end of September. Students from Liceo Cambi in Falconara, Italy made many comparisons between their small coastal town and DC’s relative cosmopolitan feel. Learn more on thewilsonbeacon.com.

Three Wilson grads have opened up a cafe in Union Market. The new establishment aims to be both a cafe and a community center, targeting especially areas with a lack of amenities. Read more on page 12.

DCPS government emails will be given to every public school student after completing an online course on digital citizenship.

A new credit recovery policy draft was released by DCPS and they are allowing public input. Read the full article on page 4.

Wilson cross-country dominated at the DCSAA Championships, with the girls winning first place and the boys taking second. Learn more on thewilsonbeacon.com.

The Kavanaugh walkout brought people from around the nation to protest the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. The walkout was not widely attended by Wilson students.

About the Writer
Ethan Leifman, Sports Reporter

Has no fat dubs in Fortnite, as he does not have an Xbox and is #androidgang, so he can’t get it on his phone. Started his journalism career writing...