January’s News of the Month

More stories from Ella Pearlman-Chang

Elie Salem

More stories from Elie Salem

All Wilson students and faculty will be eligible for a weekly discount in Tenleytown restaurants called “Tenley Tuesday.” The current list of participating restaurants are Bandit Taco, Beefsteak, Chick-Fil-A, Crisp & Juicy, District Taco, Muncheez, Olive Bistro & Cafe, Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza, and SeoulSpice.

Music teacher and vocal instructor Lori Williams decided not to return to Wilson next year. “I think the Wilson community is really going to miss Williams, she’s been an amazing teacher and mentor for pretty much everyone in choir,” said senior Maddy Vieth.

Wilson put the personal information of a foster student on the school newsletter, mistakenly categorizing them as an international exchange student. While relevant staff claims that consent was established, the student maintains that permission was not given.

Principal Martin’s contract as Wilson Principal is up for renewal by DCPS. She will be contacted by Central Offices on March 15 with news about her future at Wilson. Unlike many other school districts, DCPS principals only have a one-year contract.

As part of their cornerstone curriculum, DCPS is teaching every second grader how to ride a bicycle. With the financial support of private donors and the District Department of Education, they purchased 1,000 bikes that will move between every elementary school in the District.

An AP U.S. Government field trip to Philadelphia that was scheduled to leave early in the morning was delayed multiple hours due to a miscommunication with the bus company. “I woke up at 5, got there at 6, there was no bus so many of us stood out there freezing,” said senior Lucas Fuller.

JP Morgan committed $6 million to expand computer science programs in the Greater Washington area. The decision is partly in response to the placement of Amazon’s new headquarters in Northern Virginia.

About the Writer
Elie Salem, News Editor

Second year at The Beacon, but it’s no sweat cuz he is a BOSS. This junior is also the News Editor, though is never mentioned (probably intentionally)...