Jackson-Reed staff should go through security, too

Kate Bukowski, Contributor

Every morning, students at Jackson-Reed are required to go through metal detectors while teachers walk in with as many bags, folders, and drinks as they like. This lack of extra security can make students feel unsafe and uncomfortable at school. Teachers should be required to go through the same security checks as students to ensure safety at our school. 

Especially after the recent elementary school shooting in Texas where 19 children were fatally shot, it is crucial to reflect on our own security and improve it. According to a Washington Post article, there have been 112 recorded school shootings in the US between 2018 and 2021. Additionally, from 2018 to 2021, there have been more than 30 recorded mishandlings of guns by teachers where teachers either harmed themselves or threatened colleagues and students. While statistically there are less examples of teachers bringing weapons into schools, there has been a significant enough number of cases to raise concern.

Sure, it can seem unlikely that something so drastic would occur at Jackson-Reed, but there’s a chance nonetheless. Over the past year, Jackson-Reed has been among the many schools witnessing rising numbers of fights. Many relate these conflicts to the emotional toll that quarantine took on all of us, but no matter the cause it feels inevitable that something could escalate into more than a small fight. Teachers are human beings too, they experience the same emotions that students do. Excluding their feelings from the emotional turmoil of the past few years can be harmful, both for them and for us.

Schools and the security systems they utilize are supposed to keep us safe and secure, but how are they keeping us safe if not everyone has to go through them? When it comes to security, everyone needs to be treated equally. Making exceptions for staff members is a completely unfair and consequential choice made by our school. 

At Jackson-Reed I feel relatively safe walking through the halls, but learning this new reality makes me much more wary in my everyday life. If more attention was brought to this issue and teachers were required to go through the metal detectors every morning, Jackson-Reed could become a more secure space for students and faculty. •